25.6.11

hero in your own hometown...

There's a Mary Chapin Carpenter song that goes: 

This world is gonna wear you thin, knot you up and spin you round
This world will take it's aim, call you every name, trying to bring you down

Everything seems so clear when you're looking back from such a distance
When the road not taken disappears into the path of least resistance

The last line caught my ear, when the road not taken disappears into the path of least resistance. I've been thinking a lot lately about how my life is so predictable. I always do what people expect of me, which usually translates into always taking the road most traveled. I think we're all afraid of the unknown--we follow because it's easier, safer, and we never have to feel alone in our actions. The path of least resistance is the path that everyone else takes. It's the one that society approves of and since I never want to disappoint people, it's of course, the one that I always take. 


I want my life to be more like a different Mary Chapin Carpenter song. "Cut the deck right in half, I'll play from either side. because I take my chances..."





2 comments:

  1. I think I may just recognize that stretch of open road and that broken windshield wiper. I think it's been far too long since we hit the road...

    ReplyDelete
  2. KassKass, I don't think you could ever be predictable. And I don't think you walk the path of least resistance.

    You take the high road, and I'll take the low road -- I'm not sure where it's headed, but remember, it's not the destination, but the journey you take to get there.

    And speaking of car trips...

    ReplyDelete